Not only did he work as inspector at Reynolds Aluminum, his side jobs consisted of landscaper, roofer, automotive body and mechanic work. Oh and overall repair person.
I think some of this just rubbed off on me through osmosis as I was growing up. When it comes to fixing things, I can usually come up with a solution to the problem, maybe (or mostly) through unconventional means. A lot like MacGyver!
Everyone should have a MacGyver box. I have one, and it has all sorts of bits and pieces that I use to fix problems that arrise around the house:
![]() | |
| My MacGyver Box sits on the back of my tool bench in the garage. |
![]() | ||
| Some things from the MacGyver box: double hung window hinge, bleeder valve for front disk brakes, air filter bolt for a lawnmower, and of course paper clips! |
Each year I have devised a new approach to this problem. This year my army against the rust enemy is a five micron filter, fiber fill, a whole house filter, two milk crates, a milk jug, a dolly and a couple of clamps.
![]() | |
| Fiber fill (used in pillows etc.) etc makes a great rust capturing filter. The five micron charcoal filter was for the whole house filter. |
On the other end of the hose is a milk jug filled with fiber fill, and holes have been drilled in the bottom of the jug to let the water pass through after filtering through the fiber fill. The rig is suspended next to pool with a milk crate and a dolly- another milk crate assists in holding the milk jug "filter" above the water line:
![]() | |
| The kids watch as the water fills the pool. Yea! |
I've fixed all sorts of things with unconventional parts. Recently the sway bar for my car was temporarily held in place with hose clamps and a bungee cord until the part came in. I fixed a 100 year old broken tub drain in one of our former houses with two hose clamps and bicycle inner tube. Guess what the professional plumber used to fix it when he came over? A part that looked a lot like a bicycle inner tube and two hose clamps!
Being resourceful and solving problems is a lot of fun, at least for me. Fixing a door hinge here, a lamp there, converting a portable dishwasher into an under the counter model (it was free) to replace a broken one. Flexi pipe and glass packs to replace a blown muffler. New case fans, a USB 2.0 hub, Ethernet card, hard drive and video card to rescue our 7 year old computer (for under $100).
I think even MacGyver would be proud :)






No comments:
Post a Comment