Wednesday, June 8, 2011

changing is good, really.

I love change. It keeps my life interesting that is for sure.  I have lived in many different homes in different cities, worked for different companies; some large - some small. I have learned a lot about life just through the jobs I have taken and the people I have interacted with over the years.

I made it through two count 'em TWO pm daily to am daily conversions in the newspaper business. If there isn't a gold medal for something, there should be for that.

I've had things change my life, and made choices that have changed my life as well. Sometimes good ones, sometimes bad. I guess you get to learn from your mistakes as well as your accomplishments and grow and learn with your life.

I have been to the bottom. What an awful place to be. Through friends and family, courage and determination I have pretty much done a 180 degree turn in my life in a few short years. I have a full time job, a great home, a loving family and a greater appreciation for life.  When I say life, I mean all of it. I enjoy the balance of life and work, family and hobbies.... The simple pleasures of walking in the woods, or hearing the wind rustle the leaves of our birch trees, my kids laughing in the back yard while chasing each other. Or how bout an ice cold beer after 8 hours in a hot factory!

So life is life, not one thing but everything. It is all of me, and a totality of all the things that influence me on a daily, weekly, monthly basis....

Right now my biggest change is at work. It is this ever change monstrosity that is lurching forward with every day of the week.  It is a huge transition, and at the end of the journey I will probably no longer be doing the job I am doing presently; I will be working in a different department and doing a different job of some sort.

Lately I have let this one change occupy all of my mental capacity. Although it is a huge change- my job does not define me-  I do spend an awful lot of time at work (as we all do). With this transition comes some discomfort and anxiety over what the future will bring. 

So my goal from tonight forward is to start to let it go. A lot of the changes at work I have absolutely no control over. I have tried lately to exercise some control over it, and found myself frustrated at the outcome. The reality is that these changes are all going to make sense when I look back on this whole process a few years from now, and see the path that I am on by looking back at the footsteps on the trail behind me.

I need to take my own advice, words that I say to others when they have problems of their own: let it go, move on, take life one day at a time.

A big thanks goes out to those that have been my sounding board for the last few weeks. Thanks for your compassion and your advice which inspired me to write this very article tonight.

Life isn't perfect, and it will always be full of change....

No comments:

Post a Comment