![]() |
| © Steve Ingram |
"Life is an accomplishment and each moment has a meaning and you must use it."
Jeanne Moreau
Today's long overdue blog is about looking at life and appreciating what we all have all done. Sometimes the whiz of the merry-go-round blurs our vision, and we forget about what we have been up to.
We all have accomplishments. Some are personal, and others are job related. Some folks finish a degree or complete a course of study. Others overcome physical boundaries and push further than they had ever before. What is difficult, however, is actually seeing those accomplishments when wrapped up in the day to day life struggles.
I recently took the time and listed some of the different skills and accomplishments I finished over last few years. At first it was hard to concentrate on getting all this stuff out of my head. As I started writing, the ideas started connecting, and it all started falling into place. One thing led to another and pretty soon I had a list of different accomplishments I conquered over the last year or so.
Turn off your phone, log out of Facebook, click off the TV and get out a piece of old fashioned paper and start writing.
Here are a few random accomplishments:
I know how the "festoon" works on a certain machine at work. Knowing that it is called a "festoon" kinda makes me chuckle.
I installed a radiator in a Ford Taurus. First time for that in any car. Thank goodness for Youtube!
I went from an hourly worker on the floor in 2012 to managing 75 people as a salaried operations supervisor in 2013. That journey deserves a column of it's own some time!
I cleaned out my garage. The car actually parks "in" the garage and not "outside."
Through exercise and a better diet, I am in better shape than I was in my 20's... pretty awesome.
I rewired and re-plumbed a dishwasher. Super silent fantastic dishwasher heaven now!
I learned about the millionth computer program in my lifetime. Most recent: Historian.
Made a fantastic pinhole camera out of a chocolate box. Takes better photos than some point and shoot cameras.
My lawnmower is on it's seventh life. Installed a new carb kit, plug and it has one new wheel and three older wheels "repaired."
Made the goal of making it to Mt. Rushmore for the first time, and made it happen on the 4th of July this year. Patriotic!
Gave up pop/soda repeatedly to be healthier. Right now on day #3. Ooohh such a streak! I did about a year without the stuff though, and know it can be done.
As you can see I have quite the mix of accomplishments. Some are little things, while others are more significant. I must admit I enjoy a good challenge...especially a mechanical one. Learning how to fix or repair something is always at the top of my list.
So, what happened when I wrote all these things down? Well I must admit it made me feel pretty darn good. It also inspired me to keep the ball rolling. I took the positive energy from these accomplishments and it now fuels my desire to learn and grow and add more items to the list.
Today, tonight, this weekend, whenever.... carve out a few minutes and sit down and write out the things you have completed. I bet you have done a lot of amazing things and you don't even know it. Seeing them, reading them, appreciating them. This is what will get you motivated to take on the next challenge in life!!!!!

Great blog Steve!
ReplyDelete